My family has a curse.  Nothing drastic, no death or destruction, but a curse nonetheless.  We – my father’s side, particularly – attract stuff. Whether it’s that we have trouble throwing things away or that we can’t pass by something cool by the side of the road, or can’t pass up a good deal, we tend to accumulate cool and interesting things.  When we’re lucky, they’re useful or at least further the inventory of visual and mechanical inspiration that helps with projects like this.  When we’re unlucky, they’re bulky, heavy, and we end up lugging them around from place to place before finally deciding they’re not worth keeping.  Somewhere in between bulky, heavy, useful, and cheap lies the dangerous territory of machinery auctions.  I’ve been to three so far, and have picked up a few bits and pieces.  The sander above is the latest, a burly Rockwell that’ll help with stock profiling and finish work.  Bulky and heavy it certainly is, but hopefully useful too.

So my family curse is relatively benign, most of the time.  Accumulating stuff isn’t bad, necessarily, and it does come in handy surprisingly often.  The problem is when you have to move.  At the beginning of the summer, I got a new studio space near my cousins’s shop.  It’s been great to have, but in the end I’m not getting enough use out of it to make it worth keeping.  I made plans to move out November 1st, and slowly started packing up to move everything from here:

back into here: 

As you can see, that’s a fair bit of stuff to move into a space that’s not exactly empty.  Then, a week ago, I found out that I actually had to be out by October 1st.  So the family curse has bared its teeth as I try and move everything I’ve collected in the past six months back into an already-crowded shop.  With the help of a forklift loaned by the building and a bunch of boxes, things are coming along pretty well, but it’s put a crimp in plans for Gina’s lamp.

So, about that lamp.  As of now I think it’ll look something like this: in structure if not overall shape – drafting vellum stretched out between thin spars, panels overlapping to give some additional texture.  The problem at this point is not making it look like an umbrella.  Well, that and finding the time to finish it.  And not dropping any of the myriad of heavy chunks of steel I have to move this week on my feet.

Looking forward to a consolidated, organized shop, and many apologies to Gina for not getting her lamp done by the specified time… hopefully her patience will be rewarded.